01 April 2012

This is not a joke; Punggol does look like this now.

To many, including my buddy Shaun who's featured in this post, Punggol has always been a land for when you have absolutely nothing else to do.. to not visit anyway.

Located in the north-east of Singapore, the neighbourhood is a part of the ongoing Punggol 21 plan to be turned into a residential new town. Because it's some old town part that was supposed to smell like fish, or something.

Now, there's one thing you should know about me - I don't care much about anything else apart from cycling and taking photographs. To say more about Punggol would require more research on my part, but that would absolve you of the chance of using Google. I cannot bring myself to take that away from you. Just know that Punggol is currently is part of an intricate network of cycling paths called the Park Connector Network designed by the government for cyclists

I could go on with a 5,000-word long post on what I feel about the lack of awareness for cyclists and the sport of cycling in Singapore, but that is another post for a different day. Now, we talk about a fun day of discovery for Youjin, Shaun and I. These buddies and I go back to our days in Mass Communication at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, and they've made me incredibly happy by recently getting bicycles. So we celebrate by riding.

Yjsmiles_1_of_3

And so we begin our day with Shaun (@royalpenguin on Twitter) finally taking his week-old foldie on its first serious ride. Check out that smile. Pro-tip: Never go full retard and your smile will be fine.

Yjsmiles_4_of_25
Punggol Promenade. A mere 30min ride from where I live, and I only just found this place. Sheesh.

Yjsmiles_1_of_6

Scores of people just enjoying the view, not believing this is Punggol.

Yjsmiles_4_of_6
The view.

Yjsmiles_2_of_6

Who knew you could rent bicycles at Punggol? Who knew you could ride anywhere in Punggol without getting raped by the darkness of nothing?

Yjsmiles_2_of_25
The singlet-clad fellow is my long-time buddy Youjin (@thejin on Twitter) since the first day of our of Mass Communication days at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. He works at Reuters. Here he is showing Shaun he has a wingspan of 3 chicken wings.
Yjsmiles_3_of_6
The old man on his bicycle, possibly a Punggol resident, seeing Other People for the first time.
Yjsmiles_3_of_3
They actually call this a cycling path. Nice one, Punggol. You should be a comedy town. To be fair, this is probably still work-in-progress that we stumbled on to.
Yjsmiles_5_of_6
The couple shirts were unplanned. At least not by me.
Yjsmiles_13_of_25
That actually is A View. Breathtaking skies. In Punggol. WHODATHUNKIT.
Yjsmiles_5_of_25
Not exactly Pearl Harbor, but it did look like a picture you wouldn't wanna hang on your wall.
Yjsmiles_3_of_25
"Look Dad, I'm an impending disappointment in life!"

Yjsmiles_6_of_6
A section of the beautifully-designed Riverine Loop.

Yjsmiles_21_of_25
Savour this. This is one of the few rare actual moments I've actually seen Youjin smile without looking like a pedophile, or at my crotch. I'm kidding. It's just his facial hair and the joy cycling brings him. And his Humsup Low nickname.

Yjsmiles_20_of_25
Tell me 10 years ago that Punggol would have something that looked like this and I would laugh so hard into your face that your facial features would recede even further than the Asian ones you probably already have.

Yjsmiles_22_of_25
This is hardly a suspension bridge but I was definitely suspended in disbelief that this structure was so close to where I call home.

Yjsmiles_23_of_25
The unlikely trio of riding partners. Notice how we compensate for whatever's between our legs.

Yjsmiles_16_of_25
And as abruptly as each picture and post comes from me, it shall end now.

7 comments:

  1. Did not know that Punggol looked like this. No, really. Might actually venture into that piece of wilderness someday. Is it bike-able all the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dinnie! Thanks for looking in!It actually is very bike-able most of the way. You could begin from one of 8 spots of the Riverine Loop. Here's a link for more information: http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php?option=com_visitorsguide&task=parkconnectors&Itemid=74Click on the "North East" tab for where you can join venture in from if you're on foot or on a bicycle already.Sorry I can't really direct you there more properly as I only know how to get there on a bicycle from my place at AMK. I suggest you head to Punggol or Pasir Ris MRT, then catch a cab to Punggol Promenade or Punggol Point Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my frank opinion, Punggol today has lost a bit of what made it special - unpaved off-track roads, pristine mangrove forests, and a quiet stillness that made it the place to head to when I needed some time to myself. By 'opening' it up with a overdose of landscaping, we have lost one of the last vestiges of the 'true' Singapore. I still remember my father taking us down the long dirt road to the seafood shack by the waterfront. The food was cheap and good, and the whole place was an experience in and of itself. Now all we have are shiny bridges and throngs of people against a backdrop of HDB flats. How is that better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure many share your opinion as well. I was only sharing mine. (:<br><br>As for what is a &quot;true&quot; Singapore, that's also open to interpretation. If you ask me, HDBs and throngs of people seems like a rather apt representation of Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we can't bring singapore back to what it was in the past. but we can make it better for the future generations. having more space for homes instead of crowding everyone in already-overcrowded matured estates/towns...? i think this counts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah this is not adventurous or flavourful old Punggol for sure and it???s an articifial manicured rig. BUt for timid heartlanders, this is a paradise waiting to be discovered! Let's get them out and cycling. It is a pleasant ride and I love how people can rent bicycles at two ends. Maybe in future with this new crowd's support, NParks' efforts to leave Coney Island as it is will be supported. For bicycle rental and access infomration, see <a href="http://cyclinginsingapore.blogspot.com/2012/03/rent-bicycle-and-ride-along-sungei.html">Cycling in SIngapore</a>Very funny post, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey sivasothi thanks for ur link to the bicycle rental info! :) planning to check this place out on friday. ;)

    ReplyDelete