13 May 2012

Where I Chased The Bird Chasing The Squirrel at the Singapore Botanic Gardens

Let me put this out there and set the record straight - I love nature. I really dig (geddit geddit?) geting out there with grass, plants and flowers. Granted I meet a lot of people I would label as vegetables, none of them smell as good.

During my days in the Singapore National Service conscript, I used to whine a lot whenever there were outfield training sessions because whining together made me a lot more friends. Unbeknownst to everyone, I really quite enjoyed myself sleeping on grass, sand and dirt. There are actual places in the wilds of Singapore where you can wake up to freezing temperatures beside a pond, see dew on leaves and play with visible, "steam breaths" coming from your mouth. It's too bad these areas are cordoned off for military usage.

Personally, I get my own joy seeing rows of potted plants right outside my apartment. Got a couple of our own that my father takes care of, and a lot more from my neighbours, which my father also takes care of lovingly (the plants; not my neighbours).

Wait a minute, don't we call Singapore the Garden City? Don't most also recognise it as a shopping haven? Then where would you go to experience a bit of nature right in the middle of a shopping district?

The Singapore Botanic Gardens. Now let's begin with some pretentious photographs of flowers with ridiculous-looking bokeh.

Botanical_2_of_18

I swear when I captured this it was as red as red could be red. So was the mosquito bite on my knee.

Botanical_5_of_18

Flower, flower grow for me,
Become a flower from a seed,
Grow your roots and a stem,
Let the water come right in

Flower, flower you are true,
You make me happy when I am blue,
You became a flower from a seed,
You did all that just for me

- Olivia Taylor, Flower
Because nothing makes a less-than-stellar photograph more interesting than with a poem or a prose.

Botanical_6_of_18
At first I'd thought this was a rambutan and I jumped in excitement! Like this! Then I realised I was stupid because jumping would scare the rambutan off. So I stayed very still.

Botanical_7_of_18

I call this "Rose Amongst the Thorns Even Though It's Clearly Not A Rose and There Are.. No Thorns".

Botanical_8_of_18
BANZAI!!! is what the Japanese exclaim to "express enthusiam, celebrate a victory, applause" or just be happy about an occasion. They usually shout the term 3 times repeatedly with both arms in the air, like they just don't care.

Unfortunately, this photo is of a bonsai plant. It is also Japanese, but cannot shout, and it certainly doesn't have arms because that would be creepy.

Botanical_9_of_18
Now this - this is when my quarter-hour of excitement began. I spotted this.. bird-thing I cannot yet name wandering. Gonna need Ivan Kwan's help with this. Ivan's my favourite nature-lover in Singapore, so do read his blog at http://lazy-lizard-tales.blogspot.com/ and follow him on Twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/varanussalvator or at https://twitter.com/#!/hai_ren.

Botanical_10_of_18
The bird-thing (I'm gonna call it Brad from now on) carried on looking for the next 20 minutes. I followed Brad as stealthily as I could. You have no idea how many visitors crossing my path I told to keep it down as I stalked Brad. BUT OF COURSE I WAS POLITE. BECAUSE BRAD.

Botanical_11_of_18

AND THEN. BRAD. FREAKING JUMPED. What you see here now is Brad on top of bushes that were taller than I was. I had to elevate and balance myself on metal railings just to grab this shot of Brad. Brad is an asshole.

Botanical_12_of_18
Then I saw THIS! <3 This was what Brad was chasing this whole time!

My first thought was, "OH MAN A SQUIRREL! SQUUEEEEEEEE!". Then I thought, 'Wait squirrels like nuts right? Oh gawd please don't make a joke about my nutsack now, scumbag brain. SCUMBAG BRAIN!"

Botanical_13_of_18
SQUIRREL LEAPT! And I caught it hitting its face on a branch. Sorry, Squirrel.

Botanical_14_of_18
Unfortunately Brad and Squirrel ran off and disappeared into the bushes and up atop the trees above me (seriously) so now we've to head back to our normal transmission of pretentious-looking, hipster plant photographs.

Botanical_15_of_18
Remember Lord of the Rings where they spoke of venturing into the valley of death or something? This is not even close.

Botanical_16_of_18
This is the Vanda Miss Joaquim, aka the Singapore Orchid. This was chosen as Singapore's national flower since 1981. It is purple and so are the eyeliners of our Singapore Airline Stewardesses.

Botanical_17_of_18
If you've ever played the Zelda games, you'll know Triforce and what I mean.

Botanical_4_of_18
THIS dragon CAN fly.

Botanical_18_of_18
Next time you find yourself a reason/excuse to go to the Singapore Botanic Gardens, just enjoy it for what it has to offer. The iPad can wait. Seriously, yo.

Botanical_1_of_18
Also, if you'd like to know how to get to the Singapore Botanic Gardens, try this link: http://www.sbg.org.sg/visitorinfo/openinghours.asp. Just a tip, it's easier to get to Tanglin Mall and walk to it. The MRT Station labelled "Botanic Gardens" is a troll station. It connects to the OTHER far end of the park and it would take you 3,258 years to walk to the main portion, unless you like that sort of thing.

By the way, next time you meet a cab driver like this, call for help and make sure you have insurance.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment